Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Hershey's "Perfectly Chocolate" Chocolate Cake




Today is Mom's birthday! Happy Birthday, Mom! We planned to spend some time together today, so I asked what kind of birthday dessert she would like. Her response was chocolate cake. (no surprises there!) I have a "go to" chocolate cake recipe that never disappoints, and I've made it for Mom's birthday before, so I know she likes it! The cake is very chocolatey and moist!

Sidenote: I've been watching cooking shows lately, and several times I've seen chefs add a bit of coffee to chocolate cakes. They say it doesn't taste coffee-ish, but just makes the chocolate even more chocolatey. So I considered adding 1/4 cup hot coffee and just 3/4 cups of boiling water, but I was too scared. I wish I would have now, because worst case scenario--the cake would taste like coffee just a little bit, and my mom likes coffee! Maybe I'll have to make it again soon, to try out my little experiment...

Hershey's "Perfectly Chocolate" Chocolate cake (found on the back of Hershey's Cocoa box)

2 cups sugar
1 3/4 cup flour
3/4 cup cocoa
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
2 eggs
1 cup milk
1/2 cup veg oil
2 tsp vanilla
1 c boiling water (I usually heat water in tea kettle while I'm getting batter ready)

1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour (or use Baker's Joy spray) 2 9 in round baking pans.
2. Combine dry ingredients in large bowl. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla; beat on medium speed 2 min. Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin). Pour into pans.
3. Bake 30-35 min or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 min. Remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely. Frost.

"Perfectly Chocolate" Chocolate Frosting
1/2 cup butter
2/3 cup cocoa
3 cups powdered sugar
1/3 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla

1. Melt butter. Stir in cocoa.
2. Alternately add powdered sugar and milk, beating on medium speed to spreading consistency. Add more milk, if needed. Stir in vanilla. (Or, you can be like me and just dump all ingredients into a bowl and beat on medium speed.)

3 comments:

  1. Yum-o! So glad ya'll got to do this! And do experiment! It's fun:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank-you, LauraBug---it was EXCELLENT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And just in case anyone was wondering---extra calories are forgiven on your birthday!

    ReplyDelete