Thursday, July 7, 2011

Crockpot Chicken Tacos




I've decided that at this particular point in my life, the crockpot is the absolute best way to make dinner. Not only does it keep me from heating up the oven, and thus my entire house in the already ridiculously hot days, but I can work on prep or pieces of the meal during Em's naps. Tonight I decided to make shredded chicken taco meat in the crockpot. This is what I did:


1. Place 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts in crockpot. Add minced garlic and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
2. Add 2 cups of water--chicken doesn't need to be covered.

3. Cook on low for 3 hours.

4. Take chicken out and shred using 2 forks. Dump out liquid from crockpot and wash.

5. Place shredded chicken back into crockpot with approximately 1 cup of water and taco seasoning. (I made my own taco seasoning using this as a guideline, but changed it up a bit.)

6. Turn crockpot to warm for an hour...or as long as you need until dinner time!

7. Serve in warm flour tortilla or taco shell with lettuce, cheese, cilantro, jalapenos, tomatoes...whatever toppings your heart desires! (would also be good in nacho form!)












(I kept trying to take a picture of Emily, but she only wanted to grab the camera, so every picture is a super close-up!)








4 comments:

  1. What a grand idea! I will definitely have to make this soon...except find a recipe for taco seasoning without cumin because Peter, who isn't very picky at all, doesn't like cumin (he says it tastes and smells like dirty armpits:( And I like the close up of Ems:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job! I will have to try the taco seasoning---I have never really found a pre-packaged one I like very much---and they're always too salty for our good health! And, "Hello, little Emily-Boo"! "I love that lil face!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am VERY excited to try this!! Thanks for all of the recipes--I am super impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1. Thank you for including a picture of Ems--cute little cupid face! :)

    2. I wonder how this would do frozen. I need to get a new crockpot that will shut off to warm after so long so until I do that I'm thinking about freezer meals. I've heard people doing crockpot chicken and freezing but never know how stuff will hold up. But looks really really yummy! And easy!!

    ReplyDelete