Thursday, June 23, 2011

Marbled Chocolate Cheesecake Brownies


I had a leadership meeting for my MOPS group last night and I signed up to bring dessert. I thought it would be fun to try a new recipe from my new cookbook. Anna has this cookbook, and we made a few recipes from it when I visited her in the spring. She gave it to me for my birthday and there are approximately 500 cookies, bars, cakes and breads that I need to make in it! Anyways, these brownies did not disappoint! I do have 2 little pieces of advice: #1 when you are marbling the brownies and cheesecake batter together, do it several times. I didn't "marble" enough, in my opinion. #2-don't eat these brownies until they are 100% cool. Even better, make them one day, and don't eat them until the next day. I know that sounds weird, but I ate one warm, and was sad that they didn't turn out very well. But I ate another one a few hours later and it was delicious. I ate one today and it was devine! So here's the recipe:

Brownie ingredients:
3/4 cup water
1/2 cup butter
1 and 1/2 squares unsweetened chocolate (1.5 oz)
2 cups flour
1 and 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 eggs
1/2 cup sour cream (I used yogurt and it was perfectly fine!)

Cheesecake Ingredients:
1 pkg (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
1/3 cup sugar
1 egg, beaten
1 tblspn vanilla (yes, NOT teaspoon)
1 cup (6 oz) semi-sweet chocolate chips

Instructions:
1. In small saucepan, combine the water, butter and chocolate; cook and stir over low heat until smooth. Cool.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, baking soda and salt. Add eggs and sour cream; beat on low until just combined. Stir in chocolate mixture until smooth.
3. In another bowl, beat the cream cheese, sugar, egg and vanilla; set aside. Spread chocolate batter into a greased 15x10x1 in baking pan. Drop cream cheese mixture by tablespoonfuls over batter; cut through the batter with a knife to marble. Sprinkle with chocolate chips.
4. Bake at 375 degrees for 20-25 min or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars.

(And here's just a picture of Emily being cute.)

4 comments:

  1. YUM! Those look yummy! I will be putting these on my "to try" list:) I know what you mean about making them ahead of time. I think that has to do with the fact that they have cream cheese in them. Cream cheese ages well. I just asked Peter what he treat he wanted for his birthday. He said "cheesecake with oreo crust!, but make it ahead of time so it gets really good!" I'll have to do a post about that one:) I think your brownies look lovely...perfect amount of marbling! And I love that you threw in a picture of cute Ems being cute:) And is that a kiddy table I see in the background? It looks cool. And apparently I have not gotten near my 10,000 words today...I'll shut up now:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my! Dangerous, delicious stuff! I think I have virtually added enough calories to personify that cute owl on your new template! Love all the pics!---and you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness they look so good. And how can you help making them one day and not eating them for a whole other day!?! Sadly I'm off chocolate and anything too rich and creamy right now but in a few months...!! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL--I went back to my GReader to star this post and saw little Emily's face--forgot to add "thank you for including a cute picture." :)

    ReplyDelete